Friday, June 1

Zamboanga Preciosa

Back for the first time in 8 years... Been saying that a lot, I just couldn't get over how long it has been. I spent most of my childhood summers in my mom's hometown and the last time I went there was the summer before my senior year in high school. So yes, it felt GOOD to be back!

The only thing that's great about flying at 4:50am is being able to watch the sunrise at 36,000 feet! 

Touchdown ZAMBOANGA

From the airport, we passed by my lola's old house in Sta. Maria where I spent most of my childhood summers. I couldn't stop smiling as I remembered all those great days when life was a little simpler. Lola was like a magnet that pulled everyone in the family together, her house was the headquarters. Imagine having 10 children plus the grandchildren. Everyday was a party! Things changed when she passed away, it seemed like everyone got busy with their own lives. Nostalgia had hit me hard and even when we got to my aunt's place, it kept hurtling on. 

We finally got settled in and it was time for breakfast, Satti on the table! Satti is a common breakfast meal to the locals of Zamboanga. Beef, pork or chicken on a stick served with cubed rice floating on a thick, sweet and spicy sauce. I only like a few spicy dishes and Satti is one of them. 

Chicken Satti

Other than being able to spend time with the family, one thing that I was looking forward to was to eat all my favorite merienda items in Zamboanga. Number one on the list is Tsikalang, glutinous rice shaped like a twisted donut, deep fried and then covered with caramelized sugar. My favorite!


Here are some of my other favorite merienda items in Zamboanga:

Tamal/Tamales: Similar to Spanish tamales, a steamed delicacy made of glutinous rice stuffed with glass noodles and wrapped in banana leaf. It's usually sold by two's and held together with a string. 


Saging Rebosao: Stripped bananas caramelized in sugar. The ones we have in Cebu are made of whole bananas served on a stick, I find Saging Rebosao more fun to eat!

Suman Kamanting: Cassava cooked like suman. This is one of my mom's favorite delicacy too, she told me it reminded her so much of my lola.

I wanted to try them all! LOL!

Chillin' with our coke in a plastic!


Having merienda at the back of the multicab!

Zamboanga hasn't changed a lot in the last 8 years, one place that's new to me though is Paseo del Mar. You can take a walk along the break-water and smell the sea breeze or watch the beautiful dancing fountain. On the weekends, this place gets really packed. I love that there are a lot of restaurants lined up where you can enjoy your food and the scenery as well. Nothing beats dining by the seaside. 

Dine or just chill.

The dancing fountain

Badjao kids ready to dive for some coins!


One of the places I couldn't miss to visit is the Barter Trade Market, this is a popular shopping center especially for tourists. Here you can find unique items for sale, from chocolates, biscuits, malong, bags and RTW from neighboring countries Indonesia and Malaysia. It's a great place to go shopping for pasalubong!

Such beautiful colors. 

The famous Maggi Kari

Barter Trade, Check!

I don't know why it took me so long to visit Zamboanga again. I missed the food, tricycle rides, the warmth of the place and most especially my family there. I missed you, Zamboanga.

Joyride! 5 days wasn't enough. I would love to visit again soon!

6 comments:

  1. phoeb's food looks good! i can't wait! hehehe! this week na.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt know you were from Zamboanga also! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you,but.. I think you did a great job on how you see and present Zamboanga City. You are right..We really cannot find those kind of meriendas here in the US. GOD I miss those!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. zamboanga city would always be a home to me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pbz! Now lang yo te ya pwd le! - Minnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow'i miss my hometown Zamboanga city

    ReplyDelete