Friday, June 1

Soul Food

Away from the city center, Soul Bistro is a warm and welcoming restaurant located in Banawa. It is casual and simple but I love their keen eye for detail. When I saw their toothpick holder, I immediately got the impression that the owners thought of even the smallest details. The interior was painted in warm colors and comforting tones and it definitely worked on my appetite!

Soul Bistro's facade
Cozy up with Soul Bistro's food
It's all about the details
Having a small dining area doesn't necessarily mean cramped
Here's their menu:

Decisions, decisions
It took me quite a while to decide on what to get. I wanted to try their Fettuccine with Meat Sauce then I saw that they have Chicken Cordon Bleu with Cream Sauce, I was torn. It's funny that I ended up ordering Grilled Pork Belly with Balsamic Dip (149pesos). I ordered this because I got curious with the Balsamic dip and wanted to try it. Chester had a hard time choosing too but finally settled for Tenderloin Tips with Mushroom Gravy (169pesos). Rice is not included. You have four options for the rice, Plain (15pesos), Garlic (25pesos), Brown (25pesos) and Barcelona (40pesos) or you can have Baked Potato (45pesos) or Mashed Potato (45pesos). By the way, there's a free soup for every meal.

Egg soup!
The Grilled Pork Belly itself was full of flavor but the Balsamic dip which I was so curious to try ended up to be a disappointment. I could eat the grilled pork without the dip, it didn't make a difference at all. The meat was so delicious so I didn't care if the Balsamic dip was bad. I still enjoyed my food.

Grilled Pork Belly with Balsamic Dip

Chester's Tenderloin Tips with Mushroom Gravy was cooked perfectly although there isn't much to rave about. 

Tenderloin Tips with Mushroom Gravy

For dessert, we ordered their Tiramisu (65pesos). It didn't taste anything like a Tiramisu, not a hint of coffee and liquor. They didn't use ladyfingers but the texture of the cake was quite similar to ladyfingers. There was a custard cream and chocolate in between each layer topped with more cream and chocolate shavings. This is probably their own version of Tiramisu and I loved it! Yes, even without the real flavors of Tiramisu. 

Tiramisu... or is it?
Soul Bistro's aim is to create a better world one meal at a time and it's good to know that a part of the restaurant's net sales is given to their partner charities. That has made our dining experience there more satisfying. 

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment